Assistance to project owner and support to control the execution of works for the rehabilitation of Bobo-Dioulasso central market (Burkina Faso)
Realisation : 1998-2001
Financed by : Developpement French Agency(AFD)
Client : Municipality of Bobo-Dioulasso
Bobo-Dioulasso’s central market is one of the biggest markets of the sub-region, covering 6 hectares and serving 7000 merchants. Rehabilitating the facilities had become urgent for sanitary and security reasons.
The Technical Assistance project lasted for 3 years, until merchants were re-established in May 2001.
It consisted of:
- Merchant census and organisation of the temporary eviction before the start of operations;
- Set up of a complementary financing system and management of a specific account to collect the merchants’ pay;
- Managing the designation of 5000 merchant facilities;
- Development of terms of reference and launch of consultations about the sustainable management of the market;
- Follow-up on the project works;
- Organisation of the merchants’ reinstallation after delivery of the newly rehabilitated market;
- Creation and set-up a management structure for the central market (SGM).